How to Get Rid of Mold and Mildew from Wooden Furniture

Mildew and mold has become one of the many causes of annoyance and irritation in cleaning a home. These forms of bacteria tend to have a number of negative effects, such as, blackening the grout lines in your bathroom, discoloring your elegant dry wall, wrecking your fully furnished siding, darkening your clean outdoor deck, and leaving all home with a musty odor. The worst part about their existence is that they can badly affect your health as they discharge microscopic spores that can quickly cause allergic reactions and runny noses. Also, they increase your chances of developing asthma and other respiratory conditions.

To prevent all this from happening, the actual trick is to kill these molds before they actually grow. This may be done by yourself if the mold isn’t covering a large area and hasn’t rotten any woods yet, or by a professional especially if it is more than 10 square feet of wood that has been badly affected by them.

How to recognize molds?

Mildew is the most visible type of mold that usually starts as a tiny black spot, and then grows into immense colonies. The black marks you see on your grout lines, walls, deck board surfaces, and shady areas --- those are mildews. To know if they exist in your home, simply apply a few drops of bleach on the black area. Wait for a few minutes. If the spot lightens after two to three minutes, then it is mildew positive. If the spot remains dark, then you’re fortunate it’s not.

Also, if your house has existing molds, you may easily smell them. Once you sense a musty odour, immediately check all areas of your house, and locate where the smell is coming from. After that, do clean up the influx right away before they actually get worse.

Here are some helpful tips:

Preparation Materials:

Safety Goggles

Dusk Mask


Dishwashing Liquid or Sugar Soap

2-3 pieces of cloth

Scrub Brush

Wood polish


Rubber Gloves


If someone in the family has asthma or mold allergies, it is advisable to wear safety goggles, a dust mask and gloves while performing mold removal activities. Any family members with asthma it is recommend they stay in a room or somewhere outside the house whilst the clean up takes place. After that, prepare your hepa-filter vacuum, and then start vacuuming the moldy wood in order to remove any loose spores and bits of mold that can enter the air while cleaning your damaged area.

Put some dishwashing liquid in a bucket with fair amount of warm water. Drench your first piece of cloth in the solution, squeeze out excess moisture and then smoothly rub the wood. For the next cloth, soak it in clean water, squeeze water out and then use it to rinse the wood. If the molds were removed by this process then use a third cloth to dry the wood.

If molds still exist, use your soft brush, soak it in the solution and scrub gently on the remaining damaged surface of the wood – be careful not to scratch or damage your wooden surfaces with brushing too hard. Again, rinse it with a slightly wet cloth, and then dry it with your third cloth. Apply wood polish to bring back the new look of your wooden floors.

If all else fails, you can always contact professional cleaners or cleaning agents residing in Sydney and have them fix your mold problems. Apart from mold removal, these cleaning experts can clean your whole house clean and bring back the sparkle.

, , , , ,

Leave a Reply